Request for Proposals: Website Redesign
Proposal Due Date & Time:
July 18, 2021 – 11:59pm EDT
Stephanie Maurice, Director of Annual Giving & Marketing, Focus: HOPE
I. Organizational Overview
About the Organization
Focus: HOPE is currently accepting proposals to develop, design, launch, and maintain a new website. As we undergo an organization-wide digital transformation process, Focus: HOPE has determined that a new website is needed to meet our goals of accessibility and transparency. The purpose of this Request for Proposal (RFP) is to solicit proposals from various candidates, conduct a fair and extensive evaluation based on criteria listed herein, and select the candidate who best aligns with Focus: HOPE’s strategic direction.
Focus: HOPE is a nationally renowned civil and human rights organization, and a trusted member of the metro Detroit community for over five decades. Founded in 1968 by Father William Cunningham and Eleanor Josaitis, Focus: HOPE provides an intergenerational and holistic mix of services – including early learning, youth development, workforce development, food for seniors, and advocacy – to disrupt the effects of racism, poverty and other forms of social injustice in southeast Michigan.
The following people will play a role in this project.
|Stephanie Maurice (primary project contact)||Director of Annual Giving & Marketing|
|Michael Collins||Director of Information Systems|
|Christian Harper||Marketing Specialist|
|Tashawna Parker||Chief Operating Officer|
Goals of this Project
The successful completion of this project will help us achieve the following goals:
- Every person who visits Focus: HOPE’s website finds what they need easily & quickly
- Organizational and program data are seamlessly updated for site visitor access
II. Proposal Submission Details
Schedule of Events
|RFP Open:||June 11, 2021|
|Questions Due:||July 1, 2021|
|Answers Posted:||July 7, 2021|
|Proposals Due:||July 18, 2021 – 11:59pm EDT|
|Award:||August 4, 2021|
* This schedule of events is subject to change based on the needs of the organization.
Questions should be submitted to:
Submit PDF proposal by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
III. Contract Terms and Conditions
Contract terms and conditions will be negotiated upon selection of the winning bidder for this RFP. All contractual terms and conditions will be subject to review by Focus: HOPE’s legal department and will include scope, budget, schedule, and other necessary items pertaining to the project
IV. Project Details
Focus: HOPE is looking to partner with a trusted, innovative, design- and tech-expert web developer or creative firm to redesign our website. Focus: HOPE’s brand is trusted and recognizable in Metro Detroit, and we can’t wait to work together to ensure our refreshed website reflects the excellence of our community programming. The goals of this project are two-fold:
- 1) That every person who visits Focus: HOPE’s website will be able to find what they need easily & quickly (for example, an older adult looking to sign up for our food distribution program can complete a program interest form; a foundation funder can access our Form 990; and a reporter can locate press releases and media contact)
- 2) That organizational and program data are able to seamlessly update for site visitor access (as we undergo a digital transformation process at Focus: HOPE, we are building processes for streamlined data reporting and visualization which we will want to share via our redesigned website)
The following are the primary external audiences for this website/project:
- Focus: HOPE clients across all organizational programs
- Supporters: Donors/volunteers/funders
The current website is built on a WordPress platform and is managed via GoDaddy. The registrar is EDUCASE. Our preference is to maintain the site on a cloud platform and not host the site on premise. We are open to options in this regard. Additionally we are open to different platforms other than WordPress such as Joomla, Drupal, etc. Your proposal should reflect design options based upon an assessment of the current site, our overall needs, and security.
Integrations with Other Systems
Currently we do not have the need for third party integration; however, the intent is to develop a design that would accommodate future integrations and be API friendly. One integration point of interest at the initial stage would be SharePoint integration for site visitor forms.
Visual Design Requirements
We will provide a simple and clear brand style guideline for you to follow. Beyond this straightforward guidance, we are eager for your creativity to shine through!
Content Management System (CMS) Requirements
Our objective is to build the site utilize a platform that has a rich CMS native to the platform. If a respondent proposes a total custom build, we are open to suggestions related to the CMS.
The WordPress site is currently managed and hosted via GoDaddy. Our preference is to maintain a cloud presence from a hosting perspective, and not host the site on a local server.
The site must be designed with a strong security footprint which should include the following measures: Protect against DoS attacks, use secure cookies, ensure site-wide SSL, verify SSL certificate, enable HTTP Strict Transport Security, disable insecure cipher suites, use SHA256 encryption, obscure header information, protect against SQL injection, and other best practices.
Website should meet all federal accessibility requirements described in Section 508 of the American Rehabilitation Act; WCAG AA level would be ideal.
Website content should be able to be translated into Spanish & Arabic, using an automatic translator.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Requirements
Search engine optimization (SEO) is a priority for our website redesign.
We have a large amount of existing content, so we will not require copywriting or editing, but we welcome consultation regarding recommended content.
Support and Maintenance Requirements
We would like to see ongoing support and maintenance options for the site post launch. This should include a maintenance agreement option as well as an option for as-needed hourly rate. We will require training sessions to walk through the build and basic function of the site prior to launch as well.
The following criteria must be met to achieve a successful project:
- Visually and aesthetically pleasing website design
· User-friendly environment that is easy to navigate
· Consistency of design across all pages/sections of the website
· Site can be changed/modified easily by Focus: HOPE personnel
· Site should be searchable with keyword searches based on site content
· Prominent display of Focus: HOPE corporate logo and mission across site
· Site should be compatible with all current web browsing technology and easily upgradeable
· Plan and perform a complete testing process on web site and database in order to ensure functionality
V. Proposal Components
The following should be included in your proposal:
- Table of Contents
- Company Overview — including history, location, year of founding, awards, etc.
- Staff Size — including number of full-time, part-time, and local v. remote
- Short Bios of Leadership/Executive Team
- Your Core Competencies
- Executive Summary of this Project
- Clearly illustrate that you understand our organization and the goals of this project
- Relevant Experience Case Studies (3-5)
- Describe 3-5 projects you have completed that demonstrate your ability to effectively execute the project described in this RFP
- Include a listing of the services provided to each project
- Include screenshots, images, or links when appropriate
- References (3)
- Include the contact information (name, title, phone, email) for contacts at three (3) of your previous projects
- Features & Functions
- Explain how you would execute all of the features/functions/etc. of this project
- Process Methodology
- Describe your process for this project in great detail
- List each phase of your process, including the relevant deliverables that will be produced at each phase
- Which tools and resources will you employ to ensure this project remains on time, on budget, transparent, and collaborative?
- If you must outsource or contract any work to meet the requirements contained herein, this must be clearly stated in the proposal. Additionally, all costs included in proposals must be all-inclusive to include any outsourced or contracted work. Any proposals which call for outsourcing or contracting work must include a name and description of the organizations being contracted.
- Future Recommendations
- Include any recommendations you have for our organization that fall outside the scope described in this RFP
- Include the time spent on each phase of the process
- Provide a fair estimate of when this project will be completed
- Include a total project cost/range
- Include a line-item budget for each major deliverable
- Include hourly rate and hour estimate for each major deliverable
- Respondent must honor pricing for 60 days from date of proposal
VI. Evaluation Criteria
Below are the criteria the proposal evaluation team will use to select a partner:
|Value & Cost||15%|
- When would you like to launch your new site?
- Ideally, Q4 of 2021, but we are flexible based on project needs
- Can you tell us more about the data that needs to be streamlined into/with the website? What is the data, where is it coming from, how do you hope to display it on the new website?
- Program metrics comprise the bulk of the data, collected through Microsoft tools – we are open to ideas for on-site display; initial thought is to just embed links to the data repository in Microsoft tools (i.e. Sharepoint). Data example: # of students enrolled in our Early Learning programs
- How will visitors access data reporting and visualization on the website? Will this be displayed publicly, directly on website pages, or will this information be password protected or only accessible by registered users, etc?
- See above – all will be publicly accessible
- We see that your online forms are built using Microsoft tools. Do they already feed results into Sharepoint?
- What donation platform do you use?
- Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge NXT
- Do you feel as though the current website reflects all the topics you expect to be addressed in the new website, or do you anticipate expanding the breadth of topics addressed by the new website as part of this project?
- Content/topics included in our current website will remain largely the same
- Do you have internal capabilities to create new/expanded content, or would you like that included in our proposal?
- We have internal content creation capabilities – however, if your team has specific content recommendations that you’d like to propose, we’d be open to hearing them!
- Should we include the configuration of website tracking (Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics) as part of this project?
- Would Focus HOPE benefit from a more robust event calendar to support ongoing registered events?
- Are you open to building out the accessibility of the site in stages? Specifically, would you like your site to fully meet WCAG AA level requirements within the scope of this project, or are you open to a phased approach, as budget allows?
- Phased approach as budget allows absolutely makes sense for this project, and we are totally
open to that
- Phased approach as budget allows absolutely makes sense for this project, and we are totally
- What is your budget?
- Our budget range for this project is flexible